DUI Law – Philadelphia DUI Lawyer
What To Do If Pulled Over For DUI In Philadelphia
A DUI arrest will make your life very complicated in the immediate future. An ultimate DUI conviction will further compound your situation administratively, financially and professionally. Not only are you facing criminal charges, a DMV hearing and a license suspension but you may also be looking at thousands of dollars in fines, fees and court costs. While it is common knowledge that driving after drinking alcohol is against the law in Philadelphia people still do it. A Philadelphia DUI Lawyer can help.
Below are several things you should do if you have been pulled over for a DUI in Philadelphia, PA:
- Once police are behind you and flash their lights carefully pull over to side of the road using your turn signal.
- As the police officer, or officers, approach your vehicle stay inside the vehicle with your hands on the steering wheel.
- Be courteous, polite and cooperate with police.
- Once the arresting officer asks for it produce your drivers license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance.
- If you choose to you may invoke the Fifth Amendment. This means that you do not have to answer any questions they ask you. If the police officer asks if you have been drinking calmly say that you are claiming your Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate yourself.
- If/when you are asked to take a chemical test or blood alcohol test you do not have the right to refuse that test. Due to Pennsylvania’s Implied Consent Law you must take the test. Otherwise, your drivers license will be automatically suspended for a period of 12-18 months. The period of suspension is determined by your previous DUI history.
- Do not get out of your vehicle unless you are asked to. If you are asked to get out try very hard not to stumble or fall when getting out.
- Refuse any and all field sobriety tests. These are not required under Pennsylvania law. You can fail these tests for numerous reasons even if you are completely sober such as having poor balance, poor vision and or a medical condition.
- If you are ultimately arrested for DUI in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area it behooves you to speak with an experienced DUI lawyer at once. Take the first step towards protecting your rights and driving privileges. Contact The Law Office of Erik B. Jensen for a free consultation.